The Annapolis Arts Alliance at Gallery 57 West
“A Fusion of the Arts”
57 West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401
CALL for ARTISTS: CLOSED
The “Annapolis Arts Alliance at Gallery 57 West” is operating as a cooperative gallery under the guidelines, policies and procedures, and mission of the Annapolis Arts Alliance.
Annapolis Arts Alliance Statement of Purpose:
The Annapolis Arts Alliance (AAA) provides a forum for members of our arts community to network, collaborate, polish creative skills, and showcase the rich artistic life of Greater Annapolis. The Alliance supports resource identification, information dissemination, arts education and event programs, and provides a collective voice for the Annapolis arts community.
Benefits of Artist Participation:
- Showcase and sell your art in a prime historical location.
- Benefit from being part of a large group of local artists in a professional setting.
- Meet customers in person to establish and grow a customer base.
- Interact with and share ideas with other local artists.
- Artist of the Month opportunity.
- Gallery 57 West E-Commerce website presence is included to sell art.
- 20% AAA gallery commission / 80% to the artist.
Participating Artist Requirements – Artists Must:
- Be a current member of the Annapolis Arts Alliance.
- Live within a 50 mile radius of the gallery.
- Be able to work 4 hour shifts, totalling 16-20 hours, in the gallery each month.
- Meet all deadlines set for inventory, scheduling, etc.
- Serve on a gallery committee.
- Exhibit a professional image / presentable attire when working.
- Feel comfortable engaging with customers.
- Utilize proficient skills on cash register for sales.
- Be proficient or be able to learn, basic computer skills for required inventory submission (via Excel Spreadsheets and DropBox) and email communication.
- Have a smartphone for texting and sending photos.
- Attend monthly gallery artist meetings.
- Be an “actively creating artist” with ready to hang/display and back stock inventory.
- NOTE: 3 month participants will have a mentor per medium.
Considerations for Applicants’ Art – Applicants Must:
- Provide professional, gallery-quality artwork.
- Have at least 50% original work that is not similar to an existing member’s work.
- Present and display their work in a professional manner.
- Keep their display well-stocked and tidy.
- Ensure that each piece of art is priced and labeled properly for display, and backstock areas.
Days and Hours of Operation:
- Wednesday through Monday, 11am – 7pm. Closed on Tuesdays.
- Special events may necessitate additional hours (ex. Midnight Madness, Dinner Under the Stars)
THREE MONTH GALLERY COMMITMENT:
- Monthly fee is $165.
- Artists will issue one check (for $495) or two checks (for $247.50 each) for the first two months of participation. If paid through the website there is a 3% processing fee.
- 20% commission to the gallery will be collected on all sales.
- Payment for art sold is issued to artists each month.
- The gallery is not liable for any theft, loss, or breakage of members’ work.
- 2D Wall Artists – approx. 4’ x 6’ of wall space.
- 3D Artisans – approx. 3’ x 5’ of table space with a height of 24” without compromising the viewing of another gallery member’s display.
- Print Bins will be supplied by the gallery.
- Card Racks will be supplied by the gallery.
- Any special props/displays must be approved.
Dedicated solely to Gallery 57 West!
- Each artist will submit an Artist’s photo and Bio for the website.
- Artists may link to their other business website(s) and/or social media.
- Artists are required to submit no more than 10 photos of their inventory, in a “Square” format, for the website.
- Masks MUST be worn in the gallery at ALL times.
- Washing hands is required after handling outside items, or using any communal spaces.
- Social distancing is strictly enforced for customers and gallery staff. Stand six feet away from others.
- Wiping down horizontal surfaces.
- Utilizing COVID equipment when working (UV Wand, thermometer, etc).
- MERV Filters are installed in the gallery and changed on a monthly basis.
- Enforcing COVID guidelines as per the City of Annapolis.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
Annapolis Arts Alliance at Gallery 57 West
“A Fusion of the Arts”
Applications are now CLOSED May – July 2021
- INTEREST EMAIL – DEADLINE: March 31, 2021 – 9pm
- Subject: Gallery Artist Interest
- Your Name
- Art Medium(s)
- Attach one image (per medium) that best represents your art
- Write a few sentences about the following:
- Why you would like to participate at the gallery
- How you see yourself participating in a “cooperative” art gallery setting
2. ARTIST JURY APPLICATION – DEADLINE: April 4, 2021 – 9pm
- Subject: Artist Jury Application
- Be prepared to include:
- An Artist resume and any other pertinent materials about you or your work.
- Two local references and phone numbers.
- Five photos per medium to be juried of recently completed work, labeled with medium, size, price and artist name.
- Be available for an interview with the Juried Art committee.
3. GALLERY MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION – DEADLINE: April 7, 2021 – 9pm
If approved for the next step a Gallery Team Member will email you a Gallery Membership Application
- All artists must meet with a Gallery Setup Team Member to set up and break down their art display in the area assigned.
- Throughout the duration of the Artist Agreement period, the Artist will provide individually labeled and priced replacements for works of art as they are sold.
- Artist understands that the commission split for sales is 80% to the Artist, and 20% to the AAA.
- The Artist will be responsible for providing their own business cards.
- The Gallery will take due care to prevent loss, theft, fire, or other damage to the artwork, but will not be held responsible should loss or damage, etc. occur.
- Special props/displays must be approved by a Gallery Setup Team Member.
- Your actual inventory of work must be consistent with that which you were accepted with during your Juried Art interview. All work must be professionally finished and ready to sell. Each piece must be tagged with your assigned artist code, inventory number, and retail price prior to bringing your work into the gallery. All wall art MUST have a “wall label”. All prices on framed artworks should include the frame as displayed. No work will be sold “without the frame.” For example, if it is displayed with a frame, then it is sold with the frame. All matting and framing, including loose prints must be presented in a professional manner.
- You must attend monthly Gallery meetings, sign up and work the required number of shifts in the gallery, and assist with designated committee work.
- You will be contacted in regard to the status of your application.
Thank you for considering being a part of Gallery 57 West!!!