The Annapolis Arts Alliance at Gallery 57 West – A Fusion of the Arts
57 West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401
Call for Artists
One Year Strong! In August 2020, members of the Annapolis Arts Alliance took the bold step of opening an art gallery in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. The gallery has been a success! The gallery has thrived thanks to hours and hours of hard work by the many Annapolis Arts Alliance member participants, their beautiful art, and the support of the local community and visitors to Annapolis. Gallery 57 West is ready to begin year two!
The Annapolis Arts Alliance at Gallery 57 West is operating as a collaborative gallery under the guidelines, policies and procedures, and mission of the Annapolis Arts Alliance.
Annapolis Arts Alliance Statement of Purpose:
The Annapolis Arts Alliance (AAA) provides a forum for members of our arts community to network, collaborate, polish creative skills, and showcase the rich artistic life of Greater Annapolis. The Alliance supports resource identification, information dissemination, arts education and event programs, and provides a collective voice for the Annapolis arts community.
Benefits of Artist Participation:
- Showcase and sell your art in a prime historical location.
- Benefit from being part of a large group of local artists in a professional setting.
- Meet customers in person to establish and grow a customer base.
- Interact with and share ideas with other local artists.
- Artist of the Month opportunity.
- Gallery 57 West website presence to promote artists.
- 20% AAA gallery commission / 80% to the artist.
- Options of Annual and four-month “Guest” participation.
Participating Artist Requirements – Artists Must:
- Be a current member of the Annapolis Arts Alliance.
- Live within a 50 mile radius of the gallery.
- Be able to work four-hour shifts, totaling 16-20 hours, in the gallery each month.
- Meet all deadlines set for inventory, scheduling, etc.
- Serve on and / or chair a gallery committee.
- Exhibit a professional image / presentable attire when representing, working in, or visiting the Gallery.
- Feel comfortable engaging with customers.
- Utilize proficient skills using cash register for sales.
- Have, or be able to learn, basic computer skills for required inventory submission (via Google Spreadsheets and DropBox) and competent email communication.
- Have the ability to lift twenty pounds and agility to climb a ladder and use stairs to the basement.
- Have a smartphone for texting and sending photos.
- Attend monthly mandatory gallery artist meetings.
- Be an “actively creating artist” with ready-to-hang/display and back stock inventory.
- Present a happy, positive, and upbeat attitude.
- NOTE: Four-month “Guest” participants will be assigned a mentor per medium.
Considerations for Applicants’ Art – Applicants Must:
- Provide professional, gallery-quality artwork.
- 2D Wall Artists must have enough inventory for approximately 4’ x 6’ of wall space AND back stock inventory to replace art sold.
- 3D Artists must have enough inventory for approximately 3’ x 5’ of table space with a height of 24” AND back stock inventory to replace art sold.
- Have at least 50% original work that is not similar to an existing member’s work.
- Present and display their work in a professional manner.
- Keep their display well-stocked and tidy.
- Ensure that each piece of art is priced and labeled properly for display AND back stock areas.
Days and Hours of Operation:
- Wednesday through Monday, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Closed on Tuesdays.
- Special events may necessitate additional hours (e.g. Midnight Madness, Dinner Under the Stars).
Annual Gallery Artist Commitment (October 2021- September 2022)
- Monthly fee is $125.00
Guest Four-Month Gallery Artist Commitment:
(Oct 2021 – Jan 2022 / Feb-May 2022 / June-Aug 2022)
- Monthly fee is $165.00
- 20% commission to the gallery will be collected on all sales.
- Payment for art sold is issued to artists each month.
- The gallery is not liable for any theft, loss, or breakage of members’ work.
- 2D Wall Artists – approximately 4’ x 6’ of wall space.
- 3D Artisans – approximately 3’ x 5’ of table space with a height of 24” without compromising the viewing of another gallery member’s display.
- Print Bins are supplied by the gallery.
- Card Racks are supplied by the gallery.
- Any special props/displays must be approved.
Gallery 57 West Website:
For year two, a new website is being created to feature exhibiting Gallery 57 West artists, gallery events, and news.
- MERV Filters are installed in the gallery and changed on a monthly basis.
- Enforcing COVID guidelines as per the City of Annapolis.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Annual Artists: October 1, 2021 – September 30, 2022
- Guest Artists: October 1, 2021 – January 31, 2022
INTEREST EMAIL DEADLINE: August 8, 2021, at 9:00 p.m.
Email your INTEREST in participating at Gallery 57 West by following the steps below:
Include the following information in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Set the Email Subject Line to say: “Gallery Artist Interest YOUR NAME”
- Include in the email content:
1. Your Name
2. Whether you are interested in “Annual” or “Guest Artist” participation
3. Your Art Medium(s)
4. Attach one image (per medium) that best represents your art.
5. Write a few sentences about the following:
- Why you are interested in participating at the gallery.
- How you see yourself participating in a collaborative art gallery setting.
- What you have to offer the gallery.
2. ARTIST JURY APPLICATION – DEADLINE: August 12, 2021 9:00 p.m.
If approved for the next step, a Gallery Team Member will email you an Artist Jury Application.
Complete the application and email to email@example.com
- Email “Subject: Artist Jury Application YOUR NAME”
- Be prepared to include: 1. An Artist Statement / Resume and any other pertinent materials about you or your work.
2. Two relevant, local references and phone numbers.
3. Five photos per medium to be juried of recently completed work, labeled with
medium, size, price, and artist name.
- Be available for an interview on either August 18, 19, 24, or 26.
- Bring the following to the interview:
- A one-paragraph Biography about you and your art.
- A sample of your art.
- Bring the following to the interview:
3. GALLERY MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION – DEADLINE: August 28, 2021 9:00 p.m.
If approved for the next step, a Gallery Team Member will email you a Gallery Membership Application.
- All artists must meet with a Gallery Setup Team Member to set up and break down their art display in the area assigned.
- Throughout the duration of the Artist Agreement period, the Artist will provide individually labeled and priced replacements for works of art as they are sold.
- Artist understands that the commission split for sales is 80% to the Artist, and 20% to the AAA.
- The Artist will be responsible for providing their own business cards.
- The Gallery will take due care to prevent loss, theft, fire, or other damage to the artwork, but will not be held responsible should loss or damage, etc. occur.
- Special props/displays must be approved by a Gallery Setup Team Member.
- Artists’ inventory of work must be consistent with that which you were accepted upon during your Juried Art interview. All work must be professionally finished and ready to sell.
- Each piece must be tagged with your assigned artist code, inventory number, and retail price prior to bringing your work into the gallery. All wall art MUST have a “wall label”. All prices on framed artworks should include the frame as displayed. For example, if it is displayed with a frame, then it is sold with the frame. All matting and framing, including loose prints must be presented in a professional manner.
- You must attend monthly Gallery meetings, sign up and work the required number of shifts in the gallery, and assist with designated committee work.
- You will be contacted in regard to the status of your application.
Thank you for considering being a part of Gallery 57 West.